Tuesday 11 December 2012

Wire work and Innocence

I met Innocence a couple of years ago at our local craft market where he was exibiting his wired craft. He is a Zimbabwean man who has mastered the craft of wire work very well. Initially he made me some things on commission and later became my mentor. Compared to Innocence, I am still a newbie and rather inexperienced. However. he is a good tutor and I am hoping to be able make some more professionally looking products and writing their patterns down soon. In this blog, I am posting some of Innocence's work. (This is with his permission.) I cannot provide you with patterns or instructions for these products, but my intention is to show you what can be done with wire and too inspire you to make your own designs. When I did some research on the internet on the techniques that he uses to add beads to his wired frame, I could not find much. The closest technique that I found, was French beading. The first image of the lizard with hooks, I had made to hang bags, keys and belts on. It is strong and durable. The second image is a lampshade with the South African big five wild animals. The third image is a rhino with hooks for my mugs. This one is my Christmas present this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment