Friday 7 December 2012

Internet businesses for small craft businesses

Some businesses seems to do very well on the internet but it is not always the case. I have been reasonably successful in selling my bead weaving pattern in the internet but totally unsuccessful at selling physical jewellery and other goods. Here are a few advantages of an internet business: 1. It is great for people who are shy and battle to market directly. 2. It is ideally suited for e-ware such as downloadable patterns. 3. You could have a very broad client base. Some disadvantages of an internet business: 1. You are competing with the whole world. If you key in jewellery on e-bay for example, there are almost 4, 000, 000 items. If you look at the best selling jewellery on Amazon, you will notice everything are factory produced jewellery. There are no handcrafted jewellery. 2. Your clients could live very far away which make delivery of goods difficult. Delivery could be time consuming and expensive. 3. You need to know a bit about internet marketing to get a search engine like Google to prioritise your web page. My own web pages have been unsuccessful in generating money. One of them cost me quite a bit of money without generating a cent. 4. If you are not careful you could become the victim of fraudsters. My conclusion: If you are starting up a business selling beaded objects like jewellery or crafts, the internet is not a good place to start. If you want to sell jewellery, rather sell at crafts markets. If the market is a bit expensive, try to team up with someone else and share a table. Where I have also been very successful, has been to make photo-albums of my jewellery and give it to family and friends to take to work. I made quite a few sales that way. Some of these clients buy regularly from me. The internet do lend itself quite well to selling patterns but then I recommend that you sell via an established company like www.bead-patterns.com . They take their cut but it is still worthwhile.

3 comments:

  1. Please don't discourage artisan jewlelry makers from selling on the internet; while it s true that it is competitive, there are alternatives to eBay that are easy to try out without a huge marketing budget. Etsy, for example, is for only handmade or vintage items, and costs 20cents USD per item to list for four months. You can open a shop with just a few items at a time. Lots of support and help there, too, to learn the ropes of internet selling. Craft fair selling can have high start up costs and you need a large inventory. Some of us live in remote areas without access to fairs or have physical limitations. For us the internet *is* the answer. It just takes some research to find a venue that works for your time and budget. I am just starting out selling, myself, but I have friends who are making it work and I know I can, too. So can you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an Etsy website and sold 1 $2 pattern in 4 months. Hope you have more luck.

    Cecilia Rooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you promote it at all? There is no link or mention of it here on your blog. Etsy has widgets for blogs, easy links to Facebook and Twitter, built in ways to offer coupons and custom work, lots of advice on other ways to get involved in their groups and promote. I have purchased bead weaving patterns on Etsy from designers who are making good sales; I have looked at your patterns on bead-patterns.com, your photos are good and your patterns are very nice, they should sell.

      You know how to promote your bead-patterns site. If you decide to give etsy another try let me know, maybe we can cross-promote or help each other out.

      Delete