Sunday 24 June 2012

Size 8 seed beads and I

Bird in Flight
When I started with my bead weaving career, I used to buy patterns from the web. I would look at the picture on the computer, then buy and make the pattern. Often I would be disappointed with the results. After a lot of effort, the final product would be a tiny version of this picture I had seen on the computer. Most bead weavers seems to prefer using these tiny beads. I find these tiny beads require double the effort to get any reasonable sized necklace and you have to use tiny needles which are virtually impossible to thread. You are also limited in your designs, since you can only pass through the holes of these tiny beads, a limited number of times.

Size 8 seed beads just seem to be that much easier to work with. They are small enough to make fairly complicated designs without the necklace becoming clumsy, yet big enough to use a reasonable sized needle (I use a size 9 needle). Because the holes are bigger you have more scope to do designs and reach an effect that much quicker. This Bird in Flight necklace is one of the designs I made using size 8 seed beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment